21 July 2011

Meal mirage

No, I'm not seeing things... that is an eye fillet the size of my fist with a mountain of seafood piled on top! That was my first instinct when my main meal cam to the table at Saks Restaurant. After the initial shock of my duck spring rolls, three of them the size of kranskies, I had hoped for a more modest main – to the contrary.

Everyone's meal was quite large and there's plenty to eat, however, the dining experience would be much nicer if the portion sizes were a bit smaller and the cost a little cheaper.

If you're looking for a quiet, intimate evening out then Sak's is not for you. It is clearly designed for open spaces, overlooking the marina with large glass doors that, in summer, most likely open out to allow the sea breeze permeate the dining area. We however went in winter and the restaurant was quite noisy and busy. Service wasn't that great either. We waited about 20 minutes once seated just to get a wine list.

The Sak's Special (my eye fillet main) was topped with a Moreton Bay bug, barbeque prawns and seared scallops. Sounds to die for in theory however it was way too much food, the seafood was a little over-cooked and the steak needed seasoning. The wine list was also not as breathtaking as it could be and there's a certain disconnect between cuisine and the wines.

I'm not sure if it happens every Saturday night, but at 9pm, the upper level turned into a nightclub. Definitely won't need to go there again, unless I'm really hungry and get a pay rise!

Verdict: Leave

Saks Restaurant and Bar. Marina Mirage, 74 Seaworld Drive, Main Beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment